You should have at least one superuser connection open for troubleshooting at all times. So if you run more than two concurrent regular administrative tasks, you'll need more reserved connections. Note that this number is taken from max_connections, not in addition to it.
- Postgres 10 Upgrade Stuck Queries
- Cannot change postgresql 9.6 max_connections Ubuntu 16
- Postgres role loses superuser attribute automatically
- Postgresql | remaining connection slots are reserved for non-replication superuser connections
- How to get Client Machine Name/ IP Address connecting to PostgreSQL Server