Maximum size to let the WAL grow during automatic checkpoints. This is a soft limit; WAL size can exceed
max_wal_size under special circumstances, such as heavy load, a failing archive_command or archive_library, or a high wal_keep_size setting. If this value is specified without units, it is taken as megabytes. The default is 1 GB. Increasing this parameter can increase the amount of time needed for crash recovery. This parameter can only be set in the postgresql.conf file or on the server command line.
… except for databases that write more than 1GB/hour of data, in which case increase the size of the log so that it's at least an hour worth of logs
- Re: [PATCH] Teach pg_waldump to extract FPIs from the WAL
- Enforce "max_wal_size/ min_wal_size must be at least twice wal_segment_size" limit while setting GUCs
- Re: Can postgres ever delete the recycled future WAL files to free-up disk space if max_wal_size is reduced or wal_recycle is set to off?
- KeepLogSeg needs some fixes on behavior
- Re: Enforce "max_wal_size/ min_wal_size must be at least twice wal_segment_size" limit while setting GUCs