Specifies the maximum age (in transactions) that a table's pg_class.relfrozenxid field can attain before a VACUUM operation is forced to prevent transaction ID wraparound within the table. Note that the system will launch autovacuum processes to prevent wraparound even when autovacuum is otherwise disabled.
Vacuum also allows removal of old files from the pg_xact subdirectory, which is why the default is a relatively low 200 million transactions. This parameter can only be set at server start, but the setting can be reduced for individual tables by changing table storage parameters. For more information see vacuum-for-wraparound.
- Autovacuum Triggered for transaction wraparound for a table even with increased autovacuum_freeze_max_age at table level
- Postgresql max TransactionId > 4 billion
- Tuning recommendations for Autovacuum
- What is autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay in autovacuum in PostgreSQL?
- 100% CPU load on AWS Aurora Postgres cluster after batch-deleting records